11 Trending Words of 2014
city, Yolo county, central California, U.S. It lies in the Sacramento River valley, 11 miles (18 km) west of Sacramento. The city, founded in 1868, was named Davisville for Jerome C. Davis, who owned a stock farm on the site. (The city's name was shortened in 1907 by the post office and became the official name in 1917.) Originally an agricultural community, it is now primarily an educational centre with some light industry (e.g., food processing and steel fabrication) and several prominent medical facilities. In 1905 the University of California acquired 778 acres (315 hectares) in the locality for a branch campus (opened 1908) and an experimental farm school (now the College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences). Subsequently, schools of veterinary medicine, letters and science, engineering, law, medicine, biological science, management, and education were established. The Davis campus of the University of California now covers more than 5,000 acres (2,000 hectares). The California National Primate Research Center was founded in Davis in 1962, and D-Q (Deganawidah-Quetzalcoatl) University, a two-year tribal college emphasizing North American and Latin American Indian cultures, opened in 1971. Pop. (1990) 46,209; (2000) 60,308.