East Detroit

Encyclopedia Britannica
Encyclopedia

east detroit

city, Macomb county, Michigan, U.S., adjacent to the northeast corner of the Detroit city limits. It is primarily a residential suburb of Detroit with a large retail sector but does have some light manufacturing (metal fabrication, meat products). First settled in 1837, it was on a military road (now Gratiot Avenue) connecting Fort Wayne (Detroit) with Fort Gratiot (Port Huron). It was incorporated as the village of Halfway in 1924. It adopted the name East Detroit in 1929, the year after it became a city, and changed to its present name in 1992. Pop. (2000) 34,077; (2005 est.) 33,180.

Learn more about East Detroit with a free trial on Britannica.com.

Encyclopedia Britannica, 2008. Encyclopedia Britannica Online.
Cite This Source
Copyright © 2014 Dictionary.com, LLC. All rights reserved.
  • Please Login or Sign Up to use the Recent Searches feature
FAVORITES
RECENT

;