East Hartford

Encyclopedia Britannica
Encyclopedia

east hartford

urban town (township), Hartford county, central Connecticut, U.S., across the Connecticut River from Hartford. The area, called Podunk by the Indians, was first settled in 1639 by John Crow. Organized as a parish in 1746 and originally part of Hartford, it was incorporated as a separate town in 1783 and experienced early industrial development (papermaking and the manufacture of gunpowder, glass, cotton goods, hats, and watches). Its area was reduced in 1823 when Manchester was separately incorporated. It now includes the villages of Hockanum and Burnside and is heavily industrialized. East Hartford is the location of the corporate headquarters of Pratt & Whitney, a major manufacturer of airplane engines. Area 18 square miles (47 square km). Pop. (1990) 50,452; (2000) 49,575.

Learn more about East Hartford with a free trial on Britannica.com.

Encyclopedia Britannica, 2008. Encyclopedia Britannica Online.
Cite This Source
Copyright © 2014 Dictionary.com, LLC. All rights reserved.
  • Please Login or Sign Up to use the Recent Searches feature
FAVORITES
RECENT

;