city, Columbiana county, eastern Ohio, U.S., some 45 miles (70 km) south of Youngstown. It lies along the Ohio River (there bridged to Newell and Chester, W.Va.), at a point where Ohio, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia meet. Founded in 1798 by Thomas Fawcett, an Irish Quaker, it was originally called St. Clair and then Fawcettstown. After it became a village in 1834, it was renamed for Liverpool, Eng. The city is known for its porcelain and pottery industry, which was established in 1840 to exploit local clay deposits. The Tri-State Pottery Festival is held there in June, and the Museum of Ceramics displays examples from throughout the industry's history. The construction of the New Cumberland Locks and Dam at Stratton, a few miles downstream, and its nearness to Great Lakes ports and highways make the city an important river terminal. Ceramics and related products remain the core of the city's industry; other manufactures include motor oil, industrial chemicals, plastics, and steel products. A branch (1965) of Kent State University is in East Liverpool. Depression-era gunman Charles ("Pretty Boy") Floyd was killed by FBI agents on a farm outside the city on Oct. 22, 1934. Beaver Creek State Park is 7 miles (11 km) north. Inc. city, 1882. Pop. (2000) 13,089; (2005 est.) 12,396.
Learn more about East Liverpool with a free trial on Britannica.com.