Get the details behind our redesign
city, Providence county, eastern Rhode Island, U.S., on the eastern side of the Seekonk and Providence rivers, opposite Providence city. The site was long occupied by Wampanoag Indians before Roger Williams, the founder of Rhode Island colony, established himself there in 1636; he left at the request of Plymouth colony. About 1644 it was settled by a company from Weymouth as part of the Massachusetts town (township) of Rehoboth. In 1812 the western part of Rehoboth was set off as the township of Seekonk. It was subsequently decided that western Seekonk belonged to Rhode Island, and that part was incorporated as the township of East Providence in 1862. City status was attained in 1958. Although it is primarily residential, the city has industries, notably jewelry making and the manufacture of machinery. Pop. (1990) 50,380; (2000) 48,688.