city, Macomb county, Michigan, U.S., adjacent to the northeast corner of the Detroit city limits. It is primarily a residential suburb of Detroit with a large retail sector but does have some light manufacturing (metal fabrication, meat products). First settled in 1837, it was on a military road (now Gratiot Avenue) connecting Fort Wayne (Detroit) with Fort Gratiot (Port Huron). It was incorporated as the village of Halfway in 1924. It adopted the name East Detroit in 1929, the year after it became a city, and changed to its present name in 1992. Pop. (2000) 34,077; (2005 est.) 33,180.
Learn more about Eastpointe with a free trial on Britannica.com.