city, Moscow oblast (province), western Russia. It lies along the Glushitsy River southeast of the capital. The city of Yegoryevsk was formed in 1778 from the village of Vysokoye and became an important trading centre, especially for grain and cattle from Ryazan province. In the 19th century it became a textile centre and now manufactures textile machinery, clothing, and footwear. It also produces phosphates from local phosphorite deposits. There are medical and teacher-training schools and a museum of local history and culture. Pop. (1993 est.) 74,000.
Learn more about Egorevsk with a free trial on Britannica.com.