town, Seine-Maritime departement, Haute-Normandie region, northwestern France. It lies on the left bank of the Seine River, 12 miles (19 km) south of Rouen. Wooded hills and high cliffs surround the town. Built on the site of a Roman city, it was occupied by the English during the Hundred Years' War (1337-1453) and then passed into the hands of the house of Lorraine. Raised to the rank of a duchy in the 16th century by Henry III of France, it kept that title until the French Revolution.
Learn more about Elbeuf with a free trial on Britannica.com.