city, seat of Rice county, southeastern Minnesota, U.S. It lies at the confluence of the Cannon and Straight rivers, in a mixed-farming and lake area, about 50 miles (80 km) south of Minneapolis. Fur trader Alexander Faribault arrived in the region in 1826 and set up a trading post at the city site in 1835. In 1852 Faribault founded the town, which was laid out and named for him; his house (1853) still stands. Wheat growing, flour milling, and sawmilling dominated the economy until the end of the 19th century. Faribault was also the centre for the Sioux and Ojibwa missions of Henry B. Whipple, first Episcopal bishop of Minnesota, who organized several schools (since moved or merged into the current Shattuck-St. Mary's School). State schools for the deaf (1863) and blind (1866) are in the city. Agriculture includes dairying and the production of hogs, turkeys, corn (maize), and soybeans. The city has a large nursery and garden industry, and a variety of goods are manufactured, including woolens, heating and cooling equipment, glass coatings, and metal cans. The processing of poultry and other food products is also important. A state prison is in the city. Popular local events include the Tree Frog Music Festival and a balloon festival. The city also contains a campus of South Central Technical College. Nerstrand-Big Woods and Sakatah Lake state parks are nearby. Inc. 1872. Pop. (1990) 17,085; (2000) 20,818.
Learn more about Faribault with a free trial on Britannica.com.