city, central Bangladesh, on the west bank of the Mara (Dead) Padma stream, a tributary of the upper Padma River. It serves as a rail terminus for the branch line connecting Goalundo Ghat with Kolkata (Calcutta) and is linked by road with Kushtia, Meherpur, Khulna, Barisal, and Jessore. The city was constituted a municipality in 1869 and takes its name from the Muslim saint Farid-ud-Din Mas'ud, whose shrine is located there. It has a thermal power station, jute mills, and several government colleges. Pop. (2001) 99,945.
Learn more about Faridpur with a free trial on Britannica.com.