[floo-guhl-hawrn; German fly-guhl-hawrn]
a brass wind instrument with three valves, usually pitched in B flat and used especially in military bands.
Also, flugelhorn, fluegelhorn.

1850–55; < German, equivalent to Flügel wing + Horn horn

flügelhornist, flugelhornist, fluegelhornist, noun
Dictionary.com Unabridged
Based on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2014.
Cite This Source Link To flügelhornist
World English Dictionary
flugelhorn (ˈfluːɡəlˌhɔːn)
a type of valved brass instrument consisting of a tube of conical bore with a cup-shaped mouthpiece, used esp in brass bands. It is a transposing instrument in B flat or C, and has the same range as the cornet in B flat
[German Flügelhorn, from Flügel wing + Hornhorn]

Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 10th Edition
2009 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins
Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009
Cite This Source
Word Origin & History

1854, from Ger. flügelhorn, from flügel "wing" + horn "horn."
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
Cite This Source
Related Words
Copyright © 2014 Dictionary.com, LLC. All rights reserved.
  • Please Login or Sign Up to use the Recent Searches feature