forest of dean
ancient royal forest of oak and beech in western Gloucestershire, England, covering an area of about 26,000 ac (10,500 ha) between the Rivers Severn and Wye. It became a National Forest Park administered by the Forestry Commission in 1938. Forest residents ("commoners") retain their ancient feudal rights of sheep pasturage and hold their verderers' court, a judicial anachronism, at Speech House; miners operate small private coal pits. Lydney, Coleford, and Cinderford have small industries. Roman antiquities include a road, villa, and ironworkings.
Learn more about Dean, Forest of with a free trial on Britannica.com.