town, centre of the Rainy River district, western Ontario, Canada. It lies on the north bank of Rainy River (the Canada-U.S. boundary), opposite International Falls, Minn. Originating as a fur-trading post, Fort-Saint-Pierre, built near the present townsite in 1731, it was renamed Fort Frances in 1830 in honour of the wife of Sir George Simpson, general superintendent of the Hudson's Bay Company. The town's early growth was aided by commercial fishing and logging operations, its position on a trade route, and a canal built in the late 1870s that circumvented falls at the outlet of adjacent Rainy Lake.
Learn more about Fort Frances with a free trial on Britannica.com.
Dictionary.com presents 366 FAQs, incorporating some of the frequently asked questions from the past with newer queries.