11 Trending Words of 2014
city and port, Nordjylland amtskommune (county), northern Jutland, Denmark, on the Kattegat (strait), east of Hjorring. A fishing village in the 16th and 17th centuries, it was fortified (Fladstrand Citadel) in the late 17th century to secure the route to Norway. The name was changed to Frederikshavn when it was chartered (1818). Shipping connections with Norway and Sweden make it an important centre for overseas trade, shipbuilding, fishing and related industries, and a transit point for tourists. The powder magazine of the 17th-century citadel remains and houses a military museum. The nearby 18th-century manor house of Bangsbo, former home of statesman Johan Knudsen (1865-1942), also houses a museum. Pop. (1981) city, 24,938; (1982 est.) mun., 35,398.