Frounce\, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Frounced; p. pr. & vb. n. Frouncing.] [OE. frouncen, fronsen, to told, wrinkle, OF. froncier, F. froncer, perh. fr. an assumed LL. frontiare to wrinkle the forehead, L. frons forehead. See Front, and cf. Flounce part of a dress.] To gather into or adorn with plaits, as a dress; to form wrinkles in or upon; to curl or frizzle, as the hair.

Not tricked and frounced, as she was wont. --Milton.
Webster's Revised


Frounce\, v. i. To form wrinkles in the forehead; to manifest displeasure; to frown. [Obs.]

The Commons frounced and stormed. -- Holland.
Relevant Questions


Frounce\, n. 1. A wrinkle, plait, or curl; a flounce; -- also, a frown. [Obs.] --Beau. & Fl.

2. An affection in hawks, in which white spittle gathers about the hawk's bill. --Booth.
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.
Cite This Source
Copyright © 2014, LLC. All rights reserved.
  • Please Login or Sign Up to use the Recent Searches feature