Get the details behind our redesign
city, Monteregie region, southern Quebec province, Canada. It lies at the mouth of the Richelieu River, on the south bank of the St. Lawrence River. Fort-Richelieu (marked by a monument) was erected on the site in 1642. In 1672 a land grant was obtained by the fort commandant, Pierre de Saurel (or Sorel), for whom the settlement was named. A parish was established in 1721. In 1787 the community was renamed William Henry for the son (later William IV) of King George III, but it reverted to its original name in 1845. In 2001 Sorel and neighbouring communities (including Tracy just to the southwest) amalgamated to form Sorel-Tracy.