city in Switzerland, from Latin Genava, perhaps from a PIE root meaning "estuary" or one meaning "bend;" in either case a reference to its situation. The city was the headquarters of the League of Nations from 1920. The original Geneva Convention to introduce humanitarian conduct in modern warfare dates from 1864; the most recent update was in 1949. The Geneva Protocol is a League of Nations document meant to settle international disputes; it dates from 1924. Earlier the city was associated with Calvinism. Meaning "gin" is from 1706 (see gin (n.1)).
Note: Because of Switzerland's strict neutrality, Geneva provides an impartial meeting ground for representatives of other nations.
Note: The city housed the headquarters of the League of Nations in the Palace of Nations, which is now the European headquarters of the United Nations.
Note: The International Labor Organization, the International Red Cross, and the World Council of Churches are also based in Geneva.
Note: Under the leadership of John Calvin in the sixteenth century, Geneva was the center of Protestantism.
Note: The Geneva Accords were a group of four agreements made in 1954, ending seven and a half years of war in Indochina.
Note: The Geneva Conventions, signed first in 1864 and then in 1906, 1929, 1949, and 1977, provide rules for the humane treatment of prisoners and wounded persons during a war.