city, Dolnoslaskie wojewodztwo (province), southwestern Poland, in the Sudety (Sudeten) mountains on both sides of the Nysa Klodzka River. A Polish frontier settlement existed there from the 6th to the 10th century; a fortress was then built to protect the town from Bohemian forces. Klodzko passed to Bohemia in 1327, then to Austria and Prussia, successively; it returned to Poland in 1945. The oldest relic of Polish literature, the famous 15th-century Florian Psalter, was written in Klodzko.
Learn more about Glatz with a free trial on Britannica.com.