village, DuPage county, northeastern Illinois, U.S. It is a suburb of Chicago, lying 23 miles (37 km) west of downtown. Glen Ellyn's phases of development were marked by seven name changes: Babcock's Grove (1833), for the first settlers, Ralph and Morgan Babcock; DuPage Center (1834); Stacy's Corners (1835); Newton's Station (1849); Danby (1851); Prospect Park (1882); and Glen Ellyn (1885), "Ellyn" being for the wife of Thomas E. Hill, the village president. The village is mainly residential. It is the seat of the College of DuPage (1967). The bones of a mastodon, discovered by workers excavating a pond (1963), are on exhibit in Armerding Hall at nearby Wheaton College. The village hosts an annual cardboard boat regatta (July). Willowbrook Wildlife Center provides rehabilitation for injured native animal species. Inc. 1892. Pop. (1990) 24,944; (2000) 26,999.
Learn more about Glen Ellyn with a free trial on Britannica.com.