city, Warren county, east-central New York, U.S., on the Hudson River, 45 miles (72 km) north of Albany. Part of the Queensbury Patent (1759; now Queensbury town [township]), it was settled in the 1760s by Quakers as Wing's Falls (for Abraham Wing, leader of the settlers) and was renamed (1788) for Colonel Johannes Glen, who built mills there. Lumbering, paper, and clothing industries developed based on waterpower generated by the 60-foot (18-metre) falls. James Fenimore Cooper described the falls, which the Mohawk Indians called Chepontuo ("Difficult Place to Get Around"), in a graphic scene from his novel The Last of the Mohicans; and Cooper's Cave, where the character Hawkeye took refuge with his party, is beneath the bridge that links the city with South Glens Falls.
Learn more about Glens Falls with a free trial on Britannica.com.