city, Fulton county, east-central New York, U.S. It is adjacent to Johnstown, on Cayadutta Creek, in the Mohawk River valley, 44 miles (71 km) northwest of Albany. Settled in the 1760s, it was first known as Stump City. Tanning and glove making (for which it was renamed in 1832) began in the colonial period and remain important industries; shoes, athletic equipment, windows, plastic molds, canvas products, and knitted textiles are also manufactured there. Located near Great Sacandaga Lake and major transportation lines, it is a distribution centre and a gateway to the recreation areas of the Adirondack Mountains to the north. Inc. city, 1890. Pop. (1990) 16,656; (2000) 15,413.
Learn more about Gloversville with a free trial on Britannica.com.