name applied to five exclusive northeastern residential suburbs of Detroit in Wayne and Macomb counties, southeastern Michigan, U.S. Situated along the southwestern shore of Lake St. Clair and known as the "Gold Coast," they comprise the cities of Grosse Pointe Park (incorporated village, 1907; city, 1950), Grosse Pointe (1880; 1934), Grosse Pointe Farms (1893; 1949), and Grosse Pointe Woods (1926; 1950), and the village of Grosse Pointe Shores (1911). The French, who defeated a group of Fox and Sauk Indians in the Grosse Pointe Park area (1712), established ribbon farms along the swampy shore that became part of Grosse Pointe township (organized in 1848 and named for a point of land projecting into the lake). The area was developed by wealthy Detroiters as a place for their summer homes. Later, notable Michigan industrialists such as Edsel Ford built large lakefront estates there. The Alger House, former home of Packard Motor Company founder Russell A. Alger, Jr., is now the Grosse Pointe War Memorial. Pop. (2000) 47,780; (2005 est.) 45,681.
Learn more about Grosse Pointe with a free trial on Britannica.com.
|a screen or mat covered with a dark material for shielding a camera lens from excess light or glare.|
|an arrangement of five objects, as trees, in a square or rectangle, one at each corner and one in the middle.|
Dictionary.com presents 366 FAQs, incorporating some of the frequently asked questions from the past with newer queries.