city, western Israel. It lies on the Plain of Sharon midway between Tel Aviv-Yafo and Haifa, near the Mediterranean Sea. The first Jewish settlement on the northern coastal plain, Hadera (from Arabic khadhir, "green") was founded in 1890 by Jewish immigrants from tsarist-ruled Poland and Lithuania. The seasonal watercourse Nahal Hadera (then called by its Arabic name of Nahr Mufjir), which flowed through the town, flooded the low-lying area annually during the winter rains and created malarial swamps. Many of the early settlers died from the disease. With the aid of the French-Jewish philanthropist Baron Edmond de Rothschild, eucalyptus trees were planted to help drain the swamps. After 1894 citrus groves flourished; their acreage was increased, and Hadera is now the centre of one of the chief citrus-producing regions of Israel
Learn more about Hadera with a free trial on Britannica.com.
Dictionary.com presents 366 FAQs, incorporating some of the frequently asked questions from the past with newer queries.