Why turkey has the same name as Turkey
city, Sonderjylland amtskommune (county commune), southeastern Jutland, Denmark. It lies along Haderslev Fjord 9 miles (14 km) from the Little Belt (strait). First recorded in 1228 and chartered in 1292, it suffered in the 15th-century wars between Schleswig (Slesvig) and Holstein and passed to Prussia with Schleswig in 1864. It was returned to Denmark with North Schleswig by a plebiscite in 1920. Two castles, built successively there on the same site, were favourite Danish royal residences in the Middle Ages, the latter being destroyed in 1644. The magnificent early 15th-century Church of Our Lady (Vor Frue Kirke) incorporates an earlier Romanesque building.