town, southeastern Norway. Hamar lies on the eastern shore of Lake Mjosa (the largest lake in the country). The diocese of Hamar was founded in 1152 by Nicholas Breakspear, papal legate to Scandinavia, who later became the only English pope as Adrian IV. Ruins of the cathedral and bishop's palace remain from the destruction of the town (1567) by the Swedes. The modern town was rebuilt after 1848 and chartered in 1849. During the German invasion of Norway in World War II (April 1940), nearby Elverum was very briefly the seat of the Norwegian king and parliament, when the government left the capital, Oslo.
Learn more about Hamar with a free trial on Britannica.com.