William B. Taliaferro was the commander of the Virginia Militia at Harpers Ferry.
On the morning of July 17 we broke camp and started for Harpers Ferry, thirty miles distant.
This magnificent structure served the railroad until 1894 when the right-of-way was realigned at Harpers Ferry.
Under the influence of the really great Latrobe, an iron span of 124 feet was built in 1852 at Harpers Ferry.
The Harpers Ferry span, as noted, remained in full main-line service until 1894.
Upon arrival of the eastbound night passenger express at Harpers Ferry the train was surrounded by a cordon of riflemen.
The fanatical wretches took refuge in the engine house at Harpers Ferry.
He has also applied his invention to ordinary infantry muskets and rifles, and caused them to be constructed at Harpers Ferry.
Mr. Hall, who is inspector of the gun manufactory at Harpers Ferry, was present himself.
At break of day, we arrived at a small place called Smithfield, eighteen miles from Harpers Ferry.