It’s about time. We are now on Instagram!
city, seat (1911) of Hill county, north-central Montana, U.S. It lies along the Milk River, to the east of the Fresno Dam and Reservoir and to the north of the Chippewa (Ojibwa)-Cree Rocky Boy's Reservation. The city was named for Le Havre, France, the birthplace of the original homesteaders. The townsite was originally located (1879) 5 miles (8 km) southwest, near Fort Assiniboine (now an agricultural experiment station). After the Great Northern Railway was extended, Havre was relocated in 1887 at the mouth of Bull Hook Creek and developed as a railroad division point and as a market for livestock and crops, notably wheat. Montana State University-Northern (founded 1929) is within the city limits. Inc. town, 1892; city, 1903. Pop. (1991 est.) 10,315; (2000) 9,621.