reservoir in Australia, on the Victoria-New South Wales border, at the confluence of the Mitta-Mitta and Murray rivers, 10 mi (16 km) above Albury. Completed in 1934 and named for the Australian bushman and explorer Hamilton Hume, it was enlarged in 1961 to a capacity of 2,500,000 ac-ft (3,100,000,000 cu m); this necessitated the moving of the township of Tallangatta. The reservoir is part of the Murray River Scheme, which provides both states with water for domestic uses and for livestock, irrigation, and hydroelectric power.
Learn more about Hume Reservoir with a free trial on Britannica.com.
Dictionary.com presents 366 FAQs, incorporating some of the frequently asked questions from the past with newer queries.