Know how to use "fewer" and "less"? Find out.
city, seat (1837) of Simcoe county, southeastern Ontario, Canada. It lies along Kempenfelt Bay, an arm of Lake Simcoe, 55 miles (90 km) north-northwest of Toronto. In 1812 a storehouse was probably built on the site, which during the War of 1812 was the landing and starting point of the Nine-Mile-Portage (a military supply route to the upper Great Lakes). A permanent settlement was established in 1828, named for Commodore Robert Barrie, commander of a naval squadron at Kingston, Ontario. The early economy was based on agriculture and lumbering. Allandale village to the south was annexed in 1897.