It’s about time. We are now on Instagram!
city, Westmoreland county, southwestern Pennsylvania, U.S., in the foothills of the Allegheny Mountains. Built on six hills, it developed after the Pennsylvania Railroad came through in 1852 providing an outlet for local farm produce. The discovery of natural gas in the vicinity prompted H. Sellers McKee to locate a glass factory there in the 1880s. It was incorporated as a borough in 1889 and as a city in 1938. Though popularly known as Glass City, it was officially named Jeannette, for McKee's wife.