Get the details behind our redesign
monument to Thomas Jefferson, the third president of the United States, situated in East Potomac Park on the south bank of the Tidal Basin, in Washington, D.C. Authorized in 1934 as part of a beautification program for the nation's capital, it was opposed by many modernist architects, including Frank Lloyd Wright, who objected to its classical design. Others objected to the destruction of cherry trees (for which the city was famous) and protested by chaining themselves to trees they thought would be lost; still others feared that the monument would obliterate the spectacular vista of the Potomac River. At the urging of President Franklin Roosevelt, however, construction began in 1938 and continued despite the country's entrance into World War II in 1941. The memorial was dedicated on April 13, 1943, the 200th anniversary of Jefferson's birth.