city, Craighead county, northeastern Arkansas, U.S. It lies on Crowley's Ridge, bordering the Mississippi River valley, about 68 miles (109 km) northwest of Memphis, Tennessee. Founded as the county seat in 1859 and laid out by J.N. Burk on land donated by Fergus Snoddy, it was named for state senator William A. Jones. It was incorporated as a city in 1883, soon after the railroads reached the area. Jonesboro prospered as a sawmilling town until local timber was exhausted before 1910, by which time it had become an agricultural market and processing centre. Its growth was fostered by the foundation in 1909 of a state agricultural school, which later became Arkansas State University. In 1958 the city boundaries were extended to include Nettleton.
Learn more about Jonesboro with a free trial on Britannica.com.