Get the details behind our redesign
city, seat (1860) of Geary county (until 1889 designated as Davis county), northeastern Kansas, U.S. It is situated at the confluence of the Republican and Smoky Hill rivers. Junction City was founded in 1858 and named for the river confluence. It developed as a trading centre for nearby Fort Riley, a U.S. military post since 1853 and the headquarters of Lieutenant Colonel George A. Custer and his Seventh Cavalry. The fort is also the site of the first territorial capitol building (1855) of Kansas and is now maintained as a museum. The Kansas Vietnam Veterans Memorial, located in the heart of the city, commemorates the nearly 800 Kansans who died in that war.