Stories We Like: Novels For Language Lovers
town, southeastern Namibia. The town lies about 285 miles (460 km) south of Windhoek, the national capital, with which it is connected by road. Keetmanshoop was established in 1866 as a Rhenish (German Lutheran) mission station for the local Nama group of Khoekhoe people, and it was named for Johann Keetman, a prominent member of the missionary society. It became a town after a German garrison was stationed there in 1894. Considered the capital of south Namibia, it is an important traffic junction and economic centre. The chief industries in Keetmanshoop produce Karakul sheepskins, processed foods, and leather goods. The Naute Dam is located on the Lowen River south of the town. Pop. (2001) 15,543.