Know how to use "fewer" and "less"? Find out.
city, Bavaria Land (state), southern Germany. It is situated on the Iller River in the heart of the Allgauer Alps, about 70 miles (110 km) southwest of Munich. A residence of the Alemannic dukes and the Frankish kings, the town was the site of a Benedictine abbey founded (752) and endowed by Hildegard, wife of Charlemagne. The abbey, which was raised to the status of a principality in 1348, was in constant conflict with the town, which was a free imperial city from 1289 and solidly Protestant from 1525. A new town grew up around the abbey in the 17th century, after the Thirty Years' War, and was chartered in 1712. The two towns were united in 1818, after having been absorbed by Bavaria in 1803.