town, Kenora district, northwestern Ontario, Canada. It lies along the Lake of the Woods, 300 miles (480 km) northwest of Thunder Bay. The Hudson's Bay Company built a trading post on Old Fort Island (1790), and lumbering in the locality was followed by a gold-mining boom (1890-91). The settlement was incorporated as a Manitoba town in 1882 when it became a divisional railroad point, but it was awarded to Ontario following a territorial dispute. It became an Ontario township in 1883 and a town in 1892. Kenora derived its name from the first two letters of Keewatin (its sister town), nearby Norman, and Rat Portage, an early name given to the town because of the migration of muskrats between the lake and the Winnipeg River.
Learn more about Kenora with a free trial on Britannica.com.