city, northwestern Iran. The city is well laid out, with cool streams and lines of willows along broad, regular streets. There are several mosques, an extensive brick bazaar, a fine caravansary, and gardens. Khvoy is a trade centre and has been of considerable strategic importance. Fortified in the 19th century, it was occupied by Turkish troops in 1911 and later by Russians, who withdrew in 1917. It was occupied by Soviet troops during World War II and until 1946. The fortifications have been demolished.
Learn more about Khoi with a free trial on Britannica.com.