Get the details behind our redesign
city and port, southwestern Iran. It lies on the right (west) bank of the Karun River where it enters the Shatt al-Arab, 45 miles (72 km) from the Persian Gulf. The city occupies the site of the old 'Abbasid port of Mohammerah, but it was already in existence at the time of Alexander the Great. During the Seleucid period, the town was a properous trading centre, and it remained so through the Sasanian and into the Islamic period. As Mohammerah, the town was attacked and demolished by the Turks in 1837. In 1847 it was allocated to Iran, though in practice it was ruled by a local sheikh. In 1924 it came under the central government as Khorramshahr.