market town and seaport of County Cork, Ireland. It is situated on Kinsale Harbour, at the estuary of the River Bandon. The present town dates mainly to the 18th century, but earlier it belonged to the De Courcis family. It received a charter of incorporation from Edward III (reigned 1327-77). Kinsale was captured by the Spaniards and retaken by the English in 1601. For the next several centuries, it was an important garrison and port town. William Penn, an English Quaker and the founder of Pennsylvania, and his father held office in the town. With the neighbouring villages of Scilly and Summer Cove, Kinsale is much frequented by visitors and hosts an annual regatta. A wine museum is located in Desmond Castle, a former customs house that was built in the 15th century. St. Multose, a medieval church built in the late 12th century, is among the Church of Ireland's oldest churches. The town has a fishery pier and a harbour and is a sport fishing centre. Manufactures include sheet steel, electrical components, and yacht equipment. Traditional craft shops sell pottery, crystal, and metalworks. Natural gas is also produced. Pop. (2002) 2,257.
Learn more about Kinsale with a free trial on Britannica.com.