What is the X in X-mas?
city, seat (1882) of Klamath county, southern Oregon, U.S. It lies at the southern end of Upper Klamath Lake, in the foothills of the Cascade Range. Once the territory of Klamath, Pit River, and Warm Springs Indians, the area was settled in 1867 at the falls of Link River by George Nurse and called Linkville. It was laid out in 1878 and was renamed (1893) for the Klamath. Completion of the Klamath Irrigation Project in 1906 and the arrival of the railroad in 1909 stimulated its growth as a lumbering centre and shipping and processing point for livestock, potatoes, and grain. The 1.25-mile (2-km) Link River (entirely within the city) connects Lake Ewauna with Upper Klamath Lake, which is a pelican sanctuary. Klamath Falls is headquarters of the Winema National Forest and site of the Oregon Institute of Technology (1947). A noteworthy attraction within the city is the Favell Museum of Western Art and Indian Artifacts (1972). Crater Lake National Park is 50 miles (80 km) north of the city. Inc. town, 1889; city, 1905. Pop. (1990) 17,737; (2000) 19,462.