Is it farther or further?
city, Vejle amtskommune (county commune), eastern Jutland, Denmark. It lies at the head of Kolding Fjord, north of Haderslev. The name occurs in the 10th century, but the earliest-known town rights date from 1321. The settlement grew up around Koldinghus, a royal castle built in 1248 to defend the frontier. Kolding was the scene of a Danish victory over the Swedes in 1644 and of a Danish defeat by Schleswig-Holsteiners in 1849. The castle was severely damaged by fire in 1808 but has been partially restored. The large square tower was built by Christian IV (1588-1648). The Sankt Nikolaj Church dates from the 13th century.