|1.||a city in SW Switzerland, in the Rhône valley on Lake Geneva: centre of Calvinism; headquarters of the International Red Cross (1864), the International Labour Office (1925), the League of Nations (1929--46), the World Health Organization, and the European office of the United Nations; banking centre. Pop: 177 500 (2002 est)|
|2.||French name: Genève, German name: Genf a canton in SW Switzerland. Capital: Geneva. Pop: 419 300 (2002 est). Area: 282 sq km (109 sq miles)|
|3.||Lake Geneva French name: Lac Léman, German name: Genfersee a lake between SW Switzerland and E France: fed and drained by the River Rhône, it is the largest of the Alpine lakes; the surface is subject to considerable changes of level. Area: 580 sq km (224 sq miles)|
Note: Because of Switzerland's strict neutrality, Geneva provides an impartial meeting ground for representatives of other nations.
Note: The city housed the headquarters of the League of Nations in the Palace of Nations, which is now the European headquarters of the United Nations.
Note: The International Labor Organization, the International Red Cross, and the World Council of Churches are also based in Geneva.
Note: Under the leadership of John Calvin in the sixteenth century, Geneva was the center of Protestantism.
Note: The Geneva Accords were a group of four agreements made in 1954, ending seven and a half years of war in Indochina.
Note: The Geneva Conventions, signed first in 1864 and then in 1906, 1929, 1949, and 1977, provide rules for the humane treatment of prisoners and wounded persons during a war.