11 Trending Words of 2014
city, southeastern Finland. Lappeenranta lies at the southern end of Lake Saimaa, northeast of Kotka. It was a major trade centre during the Middle Ages, with a municipal charter granted by Per Brahe, the Swedish governor-general of Finland, in 1649. A border fortress and the headquarters of the administrative district of Kyminkartano after the Treaty of Uusikaupunki (1721), Lappeenranta was destroyed by the Russians in 1741. After the Treaty of Abo (Turku) in 1743, the city became a Russian possession until 1812. Lappeenranta's notable sites include the mineral baths (established in 1824), the wooden Lappee Church (1791; restored 1929), and a Greek Orthodox church (1785); the remains of the old town and its ramparts and fortifications are on a promontory overlooking the harbour.