city, seat (1907) of Comanche county, southwestern Oklahoma, U.S., on the Cache Creek. Originally part of the Choctaw-Chickasaw lands in the Indian Territory, the area was settled in 1869 by the Kiowa and Comanche Indians. A settlement near Fort Sill, a military post established to control the Indians, was organized as a city in 1901; it was named for General Henry W. Lawton, who was involved in the campaign to capture the Apache leader Geronimo. Indian lands were then opened to auction, and more than 25,000 white settlers came to participate.
Learn more about Lawton with a free trial on Britannica.com.