village, Westchester county, New York, U.S. It is located on Long Island Sound, just northeast of New Rochelle, astride the border separating the towns (townships) of Mamaroneck and Rye. Although considered part of the Dutch West India Company lands, the site was sold in 1661 by Wappinger Indians to an Englishman, John Richbell, who retained its Wappinger name meaning "where the fresh water meets the salt." Resold in 1698 to Caleb Heathcote, mayor of New York, it developed as a farming community. The writer James Fenimore Cooper married Susan De Lancey in 1811 at Heathcote Hill (De Lancey Manor House) in Mamaroneck and lived there until 1814.
Learn more about Mamaroneck with a free trial on Britannica.com.