city, Pomorskie wojewodztwo (province), northern Poland. It lies on the Nogat River, the easternmost distributary of the Vistula River delta. The town was founded on the site of a medieval Prussian estate fortified by knights of the Teutonic Order in 1236 and was once the residence of their grand master; the surrounding settlement received municipal rights in 1276. From the 13th to the 15th century the fortress was one of the most powerful in Europe. Incorporated into Poland in 1457, Malbork passed to the Prussians in 1772, and in 1920 Germany gained control of the town; it was returned to Poland after World War II.
Learn more about Marienburg with a free trial on Britannica.com.