city, Allegheny county, southwestern Pennsylvania, U.S. It is situated at the junction of the Monongahela and Youghiogheny rivers, 14 miles (23 km) southeast of Pittsburgh. First settled about 1769 by David McKee, a ferry operator, the town was laid out in 1795 by his son John. In 1794 it was a centre of dissident activity during the Whiskey Rebellion (an insurrection against an excise tax on distilled liquors). Coal mining began in the area about 1830, but McKeesport did not develop appreciably until the basic ingredients of the steel industry (coal, iron, and railroads) coalesced in the late 19th century. It became part of the Pittsburgh industrial complex, with steel production as the dominant activity
Learn more about McKeesport with a free trial on Britannica.com.