city, Lake county, northeastern Ohio, U.S. It lies on Lake Erie, about 20 miles (32 km) northeast of Cleveland. Mentor township, organized in 1815, was named either for Hiram Mentor, an early settler, or for the Mentor of Homeric verse (the tutor of Telemachus, Odysseus's son). Mentor Village was separately incorporated in 1855. After World War II the area experienced rapid population and industrial growth, and in 1963 the township and village were consolidated. James A. Garfield, later U.S. president, bought a farm there in 1876, and his home, Lawnfield, has been preserved as a national historic site and memorial museum depicting the history of the Western Reserve. There are many garden nurseries in the vicinity; Headlands State Park and Headlands Dunes and Mentor Marsh state nature preserves are adjacent to the city. Inc. city, 1963. Pop. (2000) city, 50,278; Cleveland-Elyria-Mentor MSA, 2,148,153; (2005 est.) city, 51,485; Cleveland-Elyria-Mentor MSA, 2,126,318.
Learn more about Mentor with a free trial on Britannica.com.