city, La Porte county, northern Indiana, U.S. The city is situated on the southern end of Lake Michigan, 25 miles (40 km) east-northeast of Gary. It was laid out in 1832 by Major Isaac Elston as the terminus of the Michigan Road (whence its name) from the Ohio River. Once a major lumber port, it is now one of the state's leading vacation spots, near the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore (1966), as well as an industrial centre. Manufactures include apparel, air compressors, and automobile parts. Steel mills constructed in the 1960s at nearby Burns Harbor also contribute to the local economy, as do casino gambling and retailing. Washington Park encompasses much of the city's lakefront; the zoo (1933) contains a lookout tower visible from Chicago. Two lighthouses are also in the park; the Old Lighthouse (1858), one of the first on the Great Lakes, is now a museum. Also in the city is the Indiana State Prison (1860), from which John Dillinger escaped in 1933. Purdue University North Central campus is at Westville, 5 miles (8 km) south, and International Friendship Gardens (1935), just to the east, has plantings representative of many nations. Michigan City is the headquarters for the Chicago South Shore and South Bend Railroad, which provides electric commuter rail service between Chicago and northern Indiana. Inc. 1836. Pop. (2000) city, 32,900; Michigan City-La Porte MSA, 110,106; (2005 est.) city, 32,205; (2004 est.) Michigan City-La Porte MSA, 109,755.
Learn more about Michigan City with a free trial on Britannica.com.