Know how to use "fewer" and "less"? Find out.
city, seat (1807) of Baldwin county, central Georgia, U.S. It lies on the Oconee River (dammed immediately north of the city to form Lake Sinclair), about 30 miles (50 km) northwest of Macon. The town was founded in 1803 and named for John Milledge, then governor of Georgia. It was the capital of Georgia for 60 years (1807-67), after which the capital moved to Atlanta. Relatively little damage was done to it during the American Civil War by Union General William Tecumseh Sherman on his march to Savannah; many fine antebellum homes remain, including the John Marlor House (now an arts centre). The old statehouse (restored after a fire in 1941) is now part of Georgia Military College (founded 1879). The Old Governor's Mansion (1838) is on the campus of Georgia College and State University (chartered as a women's teaching college in 1889).